Philosophy and Ethics

For more on the the Philosophy of Religion and other branches of Philosophy, visit my website: Philosophy and Ethics.

Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Where is this blog going?

Thank you for visiting the Philosophy of Religion blog.

You may notice that posts on this blog are getting few and far between. Should you conclude that I'm giving up on the Philosophy of Religion or the general question of what 'God' can mean in a secular age?

Not at all. The material on this blog is being revised and put together as part of a book project, looking at the nature of religious belief and how it relates to a secular or atheist view of the world.  I will be arguing that the idea of God has never made much sense if taken literally and out of the context of the values and vision of a religious community. It is not a hypothesis to be debated - although Philosophy of Religion often encourages just that - but a way to describe the 'religious' depth of experience, the feeling of belonging or being 'at home' in the universe, the sense of value, direction and purpose in life.

This is ground that has been covered before by very many writers - and I've already made reference to the work of Karen Armstrong, whose books are a valuable resource for anyone trying to get to grips with the idea of God.  My own book tries to link this to a more general sense of what it means to be a human being, and how we relate what is personal in experience to the objective data about the world with which science deals.

So, from now on, I'll be putting all my blog posts in my general Philosophy and Ethics blog.

If, on reading any of these posts, you have views you would like to share with me, please feel free to email me: mel@mel-thompson.co.uk , or simply comment on the posts, which I shall check from time to time.  And if your comments are used in the book, you will be duly credited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive comments are always welcome, whether from a religious or secular point of view!